Date(s) - 02/06/2020 - 02/27/2020
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Foundations of Holistic Permaculture
Blending Permaculture Design and Holistic Management to Optimize Abundance
Daniel Griffith (Savory Institute Global Network Hub Candidate Leader & Permaculture Designer) is teaching this live, online, and 4-part course! It is built for those wanting to take a deep dive into actively healing and regenerating their resource base, from 1 acre to 1,000 acres.
Do you want to:
- Understand the principles and practices of Permaculture and Holistic Management?
- Gain a deeper understanding of natural ecologic processes: soil, water, landform, and animal impact?
- Learn how to run a profitable and highly integrated farm?
- Better understand how to utilize the design of Permaculture and the framekwork of Holistic Management on your own farm or homestead?
- Gain knowldge and experience with the technical and physical “tools of the trade”?
This course will explore in depth the principles, practices, and frameworks behind well-designed and holistically REGENERATIVE systems.
Online Session 1: Foundations of Holistic Permaculture
February 6th, 2020, 6pm – 8pm
- Undertsanding “Holism”
- Why holistic human action and management matters
- Ecologic roundup and the “why” behind regenerative agriculture
- Deep dive into the 12 Permaculture Principles
Online Session 2: Understanding Your Resource Base
February 13th, 2020, 6pm – 8pm
- Soil and our underground livestock
- Water and why precipitation is more than rainfall
- Landform and why we SHOULD swale our landscapes
- Animals and why we cannot live without them
Online Session 3: Species and Design
February 20th, 2020, 6pm – 8pm
- How to select and implement temperate climate species
- The 5 principles of rational design
- Understanding appropriate design tools and techniques
- Example designs and ideas review
Online Session 4: Your Regenerative Life
February 27th, 2020, 6pm – 8pm
- What is a regenerative life?
- Finanicial analysis of common design implementations – “financial design.”
- Permaculture Design failures and what we can learn from them?
- Course Overview and Questions
Add-On 1: In-Person and 8-hour implementation day at Timshel Permaculture in Central Virginia on March 7th.
Help us implemt an 11-acre Food-Forest based Keyline Silvopasture system on our 300-acre permaculture farm!
Implementation day overview
- 1-hour and immersive barn lecture, going over the 11-acre Food-Forest system, species, and its keyline design.
- In-depth tree-planting and permaculture tools field session.
- 6 hours of hands-on experience working in the 11-acre system.
Add-On 2: Online and personalized guidance and questions during the course
We are offering Daniel’s personal time to our students to answer any questions you have about the course or the course’s application on YOUR OWN property! This is a great opportunity to get personalized instruction and guidance on your questions. You can select from 30-90 miniute segments on the signup page.